We're home and unpacked and very weary, but so thankful to God for his blessings and his answers to many prayers.
Here's where things stand with the Boy. After three days of appointments and lots of tests including an echocardiogram and lung function, the Mayo Clinic pulmonologist determined that our son's otherwise good health and the positive outcomes of his previous lung collapses (pneumothoraxes) bode well for him in the future.
The surgeries being considered--fusing the lining of the lung to the lung itself and removing small cysts on the lungs--would be very painful for Boy and perhaps ultimately unnecessary. Yes, he might continue to have lung collapses, but the doctor expects they will be relatively minor and that he might even grow out of them. Very specific genetic tests have been done, including a skin biopsy netting two sutures (battle wounds ;-). The results, due in several weeks, will guide doctors in reconsidering surgery. In other words, if the Boy isn't going to outgrow these collapses, then we'll know so and will have better information to decide the best course of action. In the meantime, if he has a significant lung collapse, we'll know beyond doubt that we need to move forward. The pulmonologist suspects the previous pneumos might be the result of rapid height gain outpacing lung development.
We feel great about the results of our trip. And while we love our doctors here, we feel things were heading too fast toward a decision for surgery before all the facts were in. It is a tremendous blessing to have worked with a team of doctors (here and at the Mayo), who were willing to consult together for our Boy's long term best interest.
All that being said, I will not and cannot downplay the power of prayer--many faith-filled people have prayed for healing and for a positive outcome without surgery. In one way or another, God has answered those prayers.
Thank you for keeping up with us and for your love and support.